Thursday, July 15, 2010

Handmade Life

So, the other day I went grocery shopping and I came home literally HATING plastic! Okay, maybe not hating all plastic as a whole but strongly disliking the icky plastic bags they give you? Yes. They're just so wasteful in my opinion! And they're pretty flimsy...the one housing my eggs broke on my way inside...3 eggs died an unnecessary death :( Plus you really can't reuse as many as you take home so you have to get one of those grocery sack catch-alls thingys that keeps piling up higher and higher...at least mine does. So, I was thinking why not make some reusable tote bags to take on grocery trips?


Like the New Leaf Folding Tote by Heather Bailey! What's great about this pattern is not only is it perfect for carting your groceries but each reusable bag folds into a compact wallet for easy storage! How great is that? I'm hoping to get a few made this summer to keep in my car at all times! Because I, for one, would love to never see a plastic grocery sack again!

Have any of you gone to reusable bags for your shopping adventures? If not, do you have any good ideas for reusing plastics sacks? I have about a million that I would LOVE to find a use for!

5 comments:

FatGirl said...

We use the plastic bags for trash can liners (of course!), picking up doggie messes, lunch sacks for my husband, dirty laundry bags when we travel, trash cans in the truck...that's all I can think of right now.

dosews@gmail.com

rose said...

most of the time I use reuseable bags, sometimes I do forget to put them back in the car....and end up with plastic which I reuse for whatever. I like the Amy's pattern that folds to a wallet to have in my hand-bag for forgetful attacks. A Great Green idea.

littlequeenie29 said...

We use them for trash alot. May not be keeping them out of the landfills but it is keeping the Glad trashbags out!!

Aurora said...

I LOVE reusable grocery bags...and I got some REALLY cute damask patterned ones from Pier 1 for $2.99 a while back! Although that pattern sounds pretty cool...and you can't beat anything in yummy Heather Bailey fabrics!!!

Unknown said...

I have a pattern for a crocheted tote bag. I am working on my third one which is multi colored. I actually find myself looking for (and getting excited about) colorful bags.